Guidance on Choosing a Therapist
Natural Therapies in the main are governed by professional associations. This can often make it difficult to choose an appropriately qualified and accredited natural therapist.
For more than 50 years ANTA has been accrediting natural therapy practitioners who meet the high educational and training standards required for ANTA membership.
ANTA accredits practitioners in the following disciplines/modalities, click on the therapy of your choice to search for an ANTA accrediated practitioner:
- Ayurvedic Medicine
- Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Musculoskeletal Therapy
- Oriental Remedial Therapy
- Remedial Therapy
- Shiatsu Therapy
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Western Herbal Medicine
The majority of natural therapists are governed by an association (i.e. ANTA).
A natural therapy practitioner may or may not have membership with an association or may have membership with more than one association.
The quality, membership criteria and qualification requirements of associations does vary and care should be taken to ensure the natural therapy practitioner is a member of, and accredited with, a bona fide association (i.e. ANTA).
Membership of a quality bona fide association is a good indicator of the quality of the therapy/treatment you are likely to receive.
Things to consider when choosing a natural therapy practitioner:
- Check the natural therapy practitioner is a member of a bona fide association that has published and made available to the public the following:
- Strict membership criteria
- Strict qualifications criteria
- A code of Professional Ethics members are required to abide by
- A List of Recognised Courses for education/training (click to see ANTA)
- A formal complaints handling process
- A policy on Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Ask to see the natural therapy practitioners association membership and accreditation certificates (check for currency).
- All Natural Therapy practitioners listed on the practitioner search feature on the ANTA website are current members of ANTA.
- If in doubt contact ANTA on free call 1800 817 577.
Itís only natural to want the best health advice. When selecting a natural therapy practitioner look for the ANTA symbol, itís your guarantee of professionalism. Our membersí prime concern is your optimum health.
It's your choice, Naturally
Use our search facility to find what you're looking for on the ANTA website.
The Natural Therapist
Issue: 28 No. 1 | Mar, 2013
Advertise on ANTA's website today or in the Natural Therapist journal and reach out to Australia's growing Natural Therapies community.