What is CPE?
Continuing Professional Education is the upgrading or acquisition of knowledge and skills in the accredited modalities that will aid the practitioner in providing the patient with a high standard of health care.
Why is CPE Necessary?
CPE is an important part of providing professional healthcare services to patients and ensures practitioners regularly update their clinical skills and professional knowledge.
ANTA requires members to complete 20 CPE hours annually (Jan – Dec).
Completion of 20 CPE hours annually is a requirement of ANTA membership and for ongoing provider recognition with all Health Funds and WorkCover Authorities. Note: If you do not complete 20 hours of CPE annually, Health Funds and WorkCover Authorities can terminate your provider recognition.
Each year Health Funds carry out audits of members records to ensure 20 hours of CPE are completed by all members annually.
**Note that First Aid and CPR are not CPE applicable**
Make sure you lodge online or send to ANTA, details of 20 hours of CPE you have completed by the end of each year.
CPE reinforces ANTA’s natural health philosophy.
Other Benefits of CPE:
- members are kept informed and up-to-date with the latest developments
- facilitates communication and networking
- encourages further study
- enhances professional standing within the community
Required CPE Hours
ANTA members must accumulate a minimum of 20 CPE Hours per annum (Jan – Dec)
At least 50 % of CPE hours undertaken must be related to the modalities your are accredited in by ANTA
Note: Hours in excess of 20 completed in the current year cannot be carried over to following years.
Members registered with CMBA/AHPRA must abide by CMBA CPD/CPE Guidelines (http://www.ahpra.gov.au/chinese-medicine.aspx) for the modalities of acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine and also submit their CPE to ANTA
Members can undertake CPE hours in many ways including the following:
- attending ANTA free seminars – details of seminars are regularly posted on www.anta.com.au
- researching scientific information on IMGateway - free access for members on www.anta.com.au
- researching scientific information on EBSCO - free access for members on www.anta.com.au
- researching scientific information on eMIMS Cloud – free access for members on www.anta.com.au
- viewing seminar video’s and seminar presentations - free access for members on www.anta.com.au
- completing courses on ANTA e-Learning Centre -free access for members on www.anta.com.au
- giving lectures/tutorials
- giving CPE seminar presentations
- undertaking further study
- completing short courses
- contributing an article to the ANTA journal “The Natural Therapist” - send articles to firstname.lastname@example.org for review
- contributing an article to other relevant journals, magazines & publications
- reading articles in the tri-annual ANTA journal “The Natural Therapist”
- subscribing to and reading other professional publications and journals
- attending webinars
- viewing online, DVD’s or videos on relevant topics
- listening to recordings on relevant topics
- radio/tv broadcasting on relevant topics
- reading and researching information on topics relevant to your practice
- attending local practitioner groups/workshops
- volunteer work with community groups involving natural therapies
ANTA National CPE seminars are held in each state annually and are free for all ANTA members
ANTA & other CPE seminars are communicated to members via the ANTA website, ANTA e-News and in “The Natural Therapist”. Members should regularly check the ANTA website for details of seminars.
Maintaining your own personal online CPE Record:
ANTA provides members with simple easy to use online facilities to complete and lodge their CPE hours in their own personal and permanent CPE online record fully maintained on the Members section of the ANTA website (Note: your CPE history is retained for future reference and you should not delete any of your online CPE records). ANTA members can as an example, undertake research on EBSCO, IMGateway scientific resources, view video’s of ANTA seminars etc and then record those CPE hours on their personal CPE record all in the one session via the ANTA website.
To submit/view your CPE hours online with ANTA:
- Log onto the ANTA Member Centre here using your username & password
- Inside your Member Management Area please click on the CPE Activity Tab
- Add CPE Activity by clicking the blue "Add a New CPE Activity" button
- Enter your CPE activity (date you completed the activity, calendar year for the activity, full description of activity, number of CPE hours)
- You can download your CPE hours recorded online at any time by clicking on "download my CPE", or using the "Export" button.
Maintaining your own manual CPE Record
As ANTA has now provided an online service to members to log their annual CPE points, it is a requirement to enter your records into our system, regardless of health fund recognition. Should you wish to keep your own records in addition to our online system you can do so by recording the full date DD/MM/YYYY; a detailed description of the activity carried out, the number of applicable CPE points. Keep records of any certificates, receipts, or other proof of the completed CPE.